Wednesday, February 08, 2006

I think I'm a pretty good Mom.

I try to do all the right things. I make baby food from scratch with my food processor. I take her for all her vaccinations. I take her to playgroups to develop her social skills. I take her to swimming lessons. I'm still breastfeeding. I've babyproofed (most of) the house. I'm a stay-at-home Mom and I rarely leave her at all.

So why, when I go out, do I feel guilty for leaving her?

I leave her with Daddy or Grandma, people who love her (almost) as much as I do. I'm rarely gone more than a few hours. She's safe and loved. I meet friends to drink tea and crochet, and I go to my church craft group. And I go out to volunteer, thus doing something for my community. And for myself - I need the time amongst adults for my own sanity, and the volunteer work will look good on a University application form when I decide to go back to school.

This is what it means to be a Mom, isn't it. Never-ending guilt.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to send you some huge Hugs, Dawn!

I don't think motherhood should be never-ending guilt... who's put that thought into your head that you should feel guilty every time you do something for your own sanity? Angelie needs a Mum who is happy, and if going out by yourself is what will help you stay happy (and sane), then that is what Angelie, and ultimately your family, needs. You're still wife, church-goer, friend, crocheter and now mother as well, and every bit of you needs nourishing :-) No need for guilt, hon...

Hugs!!

PS: you don't have to publish that comment, I just wanted to let you know I'm reading and sympathising (is that a word? :-)

12:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely...and it never ends. I still feel guilty if I buy myself something, thinking, "Maybe the kids need something instead."

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home