Monday, November 14, 2005

We're working on getting Angelie to sleep through the night again. She hasn't done it in a while. I think it's probably my fault.

She had been sleeping through, between 6 to 8 hours every night. Then she went through a growth spurt, almost 2 months ago, and ate every two hours all day and all night. Because her crib is still in our room I've been picking her up and feeding her at the first squawk, so she won't wake her Daddy who has to get up for work in the morning. So, she became very used to eating every two or three hours. And habits are hard to break.

Everything we've read, and advice from friends, concur. The only way to get her to sleep through is to stop feeding her at night. Easier said than done.

Last night was night three of our "get baby to sleep through" project. I fed her for the last time at 12:30. She woke at 2:30 and cried for 20 minutes but Daddy settled her and got her back to sleep. Then she woke at 3:30 and cried for 20 minutes while Daddy rocked her, then for about 7 minutes alone in her crib when Daddy gave up. Then she slept right through until 6:30.

I think it's working, though it doesn't seem that way at 3am. At 3am, when she's crying, and Mommy and Daddy are both cranky from lack of sleep, it is so tempting to take the easy route and feed her. At 3am when she's wailing and I feel like crying myself, I know I can stop the fuss inside of 15 seconds if I just fed her, but we'd be remiss in our teachings and she wouldn't learn to sleep through. (And we just have to deal with this in 3 months or 6 months or a year.)

It's going to be a rough week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home