Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Welcome to the grand opening of the new blog! New because it’s not just about Baby Angelie (and Heaven forbid you call her a baby now) anymore. We’re proud to welcome Sarah Adrienne to our little family.

Because it’s been so long since I updated (the final months of pregnancy and the early months with a newborn have placed this blog slightly below sleep in the order of importance) this will be a long post. I’ll post in the order of most recent at the top in keeping with the blog style.

SARAH and ANGELIE

NOVEMBER

November 25: Took the girls to see Santa Claus at the mall. Angelie was too afraid to see Santa the past 2 years but sat on his lap this year… however she was too shy to say anything to him. Sarah was asleep and although she opened her eyes to peek a few times, she just snuggled in and went back to sleep. Santa must have a comfy lap.

Santa Sorry about the photo quality. They didn’t give me the digital print at this mall and I don’t have a scanner, so I took a photo of the photo with my camera.

Nov 20th: Sarah slept 5 hours in a row. Has gone as long as 4.5 since but only in our bed. If I put her in the crib she wakes up after half an hour.

Ed's Mom bought the two girls new Christmas dresses, so they could go get Christmas photos done with their great-grandmother. (Sarah's already outgrown hers.)
xmas dressesxmas dresses kiss

November 18th: We had Sarah weighed and she’s 13lbs and 8oz! Angelie wasn’t that big until she was almost 5 months old, and Sarah’s not even 2 months old yet! She's wearing clothes that Angelie wore when she was more than 6 months old and crawling.
She's now too big for the baby bath tub and has her bath in the big tub (in a hammock sort of thing) with Angelie -- which they both love.


OCTOBER
Sarahs smile

Angelie is adjusting well to being a big sister. She's very loving towards Sarah (sometimes too loving) and for the most part is very patient when she has to wait while I finish nursing Sarah before I can get up to play with her or get something for her. She's very proud of the fact that she named Sarah and tells everyone that she did. Everywhere we go she wants to introduce her little friends to her new baby sister.
Angelie and Sarah at 2 weeks
Sarah at 2 weeks

Week 3: Sarah is awake more now. She's also developed textbook colic. Inconsolable crying for more than 3 hours a day. She wants to be held all the time even when she's not crying.

Oct 31: Angelie didn't enjoy trick-or-treating last year. She went to only 4 or 5 houses and then had had enough of walking around in the dark. This year she did the whole street.
Angelie's pumpkin
Princess Angelie
Sarah pumpkin

Photographic evidence that they do, occassionally, sleep at the same time.
Girls sleep

Sarah already "plays" with Angelie. I picked up Sarah to find small toys under her head. I asked Angelie why and she replied, "We were playing toothfairy Mom." Here they are playing princesses.
Princess Sarah

Getting Angelie ready for bed one night I popped Sarah into Angelie's doll-cradle. Angelie thought that was great. (Sarah no longer fits in it.)
Sarah in doll cradle



WELCOME SARAH

On the evening of September 28th, my mother-in-law said she needed to get a photo of my belly before I went into labour, as I had one of Angelie the night before she was born (in labour but not knowing it). So she took a few pictures. This one is of Angelie kissing her baby sister goodnight.
Angelie kisses her sister

And wouldn’t you know it, but I went into labour that night! I had been scheduled for a c-section on October 6th, but Sarah decided not to wait that long. We called Ed’s parents at 5:30 am to come stay with Angelie and were at the hospital by 6:45. Sarah Adrienne was born (still by c-section) at 7:45 am on Monday 29th, September. She weighed in at 8lbs 3oz (about 1/2lb heavier than Angelie was) and 20 inches long (exactly the same as Angelie was).
Sarah gets weighed
Sarah thumbsuck

She did very well right from the start and nursed like a pro in the recovery room.

Angelie went to nursery school as usual (because hospital visiting hours are very restrictive) but came to visit us that evening. She was very proud and excited to see her new baby sister Sarah and had been telling everyone she met that day that she was “a big sister now”. She did very well at Grandma and Grandpa’s house for 4 nights (the longest she’d been away from us), but on the 3rd night while visiting us in hospital she asked me, with tears in her eyes, “Mom when you go home with Sarah, can I come home with you?” When I assured her that she would be coming home with us, because I would miss her too much otherwise, she was okay and went willingly back to Grandma’s.

Angelie holds Sarah
Sarah and Mom, day 1
Sarah day 1
Sarah day 2
Sarah day 3

Mom and her girls

On Thursday October 2nd, I was released from hospital because they needed the room (baby boom in Ottawa that week), but Sarah was kept in because she had jaundice. She needed to stay under phototherapy lights in the nursery for at least 24 hours. Luckily they had a convenience room for parents to use and I was able to stay in that overnight (fresh c-section incision on a lumpy couch!) so that I could continue to nurse Sarah around the clock. I really just wanted to take my baby and go home. (I missed Angelie). Sarah did well with treatment though and was discharged at 6pm on Friday.

By October 7th, she had regained her birthweight.
On October 9th, her belly button fell off and we gave her her first bath.
Sarah bath
October 21st, she was up to 9lbs 15oz.
October 30th, she was up to 11lbs 2oz.

Sarah's first night at home:
Sarah's first night home



PRE-BABY: SEPTEMBER, AUGUST, JULY

Angelie is growing so quickly. She’s not a baby anymore. There are so many things I’m already starting to miss as she grows up, little things like how she used to say, “You’re welcyum” instead of “You’re welcome”. She still calls me Mama most of the time, and I know that will probably soon evolve into Mom or Mommy. She still calls McDonald’s “Old McDonald’s”.

Her drawings are becoming more recognisable; the shapeless blobs have turned into stick figures. She tells jokes now, but they’re only funny because of her age. The punchline to her knock knock jokes are always the same: Knock knock. Who’s there? Banana. Banana who? Banana walking down the road.

She’s pretty sweet and thoughtful most of the time too. One day this summer we were cleaning my car. And of course, she had to “help”. She kept disappearing into the house though. At one point after a longer than normal absence I went to find her. She was standing at the front door with two cups of juice in her hands, and because he hands were full couldn’t open the door to get back outside. She’d been yelling at me to open the door but I couldn’t here her from the driveway. When I opened the door for her she said “I thought you might be thirsty Mom.” So we sat on the step and had a snack before finishing the car. (Of course when I went into the house later there was spilled apple juice on the kitchen floor and the fridge door was wide open.)

In September, Angelie started back at the same nursery school she went to last year. We were surprised to find the teacher she had last year was no longer there and she now has a new teacher: young, pretty, and fluently bilingual. Angelie loves her, but misses her old teacher too. We also had switched Angelie from the Tuesday and Thursday morning program to the Monday, Wednesday, and Friday program. She loves school and really needs to be kept busy. (For my sanity as well as hers.) She’s also back swimming on Wednesday afternoons, gymnastics on Thursday mornings, and has started ballet class on Saturdays. It’s a lot of activity but she thrives on it and sleeps so much better now that we tire her out. I was slowing down quite a bit in last months of pregnancy and Angelie suffered a little because of it. She’s much happier this way.
ballet girl
ballet
after ballet


In August, I took Angelie to Super-Ex with some friends. Up ‘til then (even at Canada Day the previous month) she was afraid of carnival rides and wouldn’t go on them, but at the Ex she had a 4 year old friend to bolster her courage and go on all the rides with her. It was a very long and expensive day! Of course though, Mommy couldn’t go on any of the rides with her as they all had signs forbidding pregnant women from riding (even the relatively safe fun house!), and at that point I was too pregnant to hide it.

We also had my niece Megan with us for two weeks at the end of August. Angelie idolizes Meg and follows her around like a little puppy dog. My nephew Aidan, having reached the ripe old age of 12 is now too busy with his friends to visit his dear old auntie. While Megan was here, my Dad was in town with his St. John Ambulance ambulance to provide first aid service for a street hockey tournament. Angelie got a kick out of visiting Papa in the ambulance. Here she is in her garden party finest:
ambulance

Angelie’s godparents have a nice cottage only about 40 minutes from Ottawa. It’s right on a lake and Angelie loves to go there. She’s an outdoorsy kind of girl.
swim at cottage
cottage campfire

And here is Angelie “upside-down dancing” with Daddy. Something only Daddy can do as Mommy’s having a hard time lifting Angelie right now (first belly in the way, now colicky baby in the arms).
upside down dancing
Angelie also likes to “walk on the ceiling”. Daddy holds her upside down and she steps her feet across. Of course I have to “yell” at her: “Get your dirty feet off my ceiling! No muddy footprints on my ceiling.”

We’ve started preparing for the new baby. Angelie’s to get the big room in the front and the baby will eventually move into the smaller room. The front room however has some issues with cold in the winter and heat in the summer, and so the walls needed to be taken down to check the status of the insulation. Angelie decided to help Daddy and Grandpa with the demo.
room demo]

Angelie's very excited about her new sister. We had to go shopping one day so Angelie could buy Sarah a present. She picked out a lovely mobile for the crib. I think she's going to be a very good big sister.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

I'm so glad to see an update from you. Angelie is getting so big and Sarah is precious.

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home