Friday, March 16, 2007

Angelie is growing into a very confident and self-sufficient little girl. I took her to the mall today because we needed to pick up a few things (more on this later), and they were having a March Break kids' event. When she saw other kids walking around with balloons she HAD to have one too.

"Ai-yi have boon? Where mine one?"

As soon as we saw the giant bunch of balloons and the lady handing them out, Angelie wanted out of her stroller. So I let her out, thinking she wouldn't go far. She's a bit of a Mama's girl and usually doesn't go far without me, constantly stopping to double-check I'm behind her. Not today. She wove a path through the food court, dodging people and chairs and tables with lightning speed and never once stopped to see if I was following her. She was on a mission. She marched right up to the balloon lady, jumped the queue, stood at the front of the line and pointed at the pink balloon the lady was holding. The lady gave her a balloon first, even though other kids were waiting. I think it was because the other kids were much older (none younger than 6 I think) and luckily no one complained. Besides Angelie looked so cute and tiny next to all those other kids.

Today wasn't a completely good day for Angelie though. She did get her balloon, but at bedtime when I was getting her into her PJ's, she pulled away from me, as she often does to enjoy some semi-naked freedom, and slipped bumping her mouth on her bed frame. She put her two lower front teeth through her lip. Soooo much blood! Ed gave her a freezie-pop and the cold seemed to help with the bleeding and the swelling. It didn't take too long for the bleeding to stop, so no need for stitches, and she'll probably be 75% healed by morning.

Back to the reason we went to the mall today in the first place. Earlier this week, as I was sitting in the family room folding laundry, Angelie came running in holding her toy broom and dustpan. "Mama help you," she said, which means Mama help me (we're still working on the pronouns). So I got up to see what she wanted help with, assuming she was sweeping up her toy fruits and vegetables or a dumped bowl of goldfish crackers. Worse. She'd managed to pry the lid off a container of coffee, an almost brand new $5 container of coffee. Coffee grounds everywhere! I had to pull the stove and fridge out to sweep them up, and vacuum them out of the family-room carpet where she'd tracked them. The fine little grounds cling to everything and it took forever to clean up. Angelie sat in her naughty chair the whole time... laughing because she thought it was funny. You can keep them in the naughty chair but you can't keep them from laughing at you. Okay granted she DID try to clean it up AND she did come tell me about it, but she'd been told several times not to touch it. The coffee that I bought today at Zellers has been moved to the cabinet with the child-proof lock.

Up until now, she's been very good at obeying rules, but lately she's starting to test more and more limits. Things that we could quite safely leave within reach (nothing dangerous) are no longer safe. The dreaded Terrible Two's?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home