Angelie and I went away for the May long-weekend to my Dad's. Ed stayed home to work on a table for the train-set she would be getting for her birthday. (Her actual birthday fell on the long-weekend, while the two of us were away, but we'd scheduled her party for the 26th and that's when we planned to give her our present.) My sister Robin and her children Aidan and Megan also managed to come down for a couple of days.
Angelie had a blast, reading with "Cuz Meg":

hiding under the bed with "Cuz Aid":

having a cushion fight with "Auntie Rob":

and composing her first musical masterpiece:

While we were there I also weaned her off breast-feeding. My doctor assured us that at two years we'd both reached maximum health benefit (her for both nutrition and bonding, and me for breast cancer prevention), and so I can rest easy knowing that I went above-and-beyond and that we've both gained maximum benefit from the experience! The weaning itself went pretty smoothly. I told her that 'mama milk' is for little babies and she's a big girl now. Her biggest worry was that she "not want little babies drink your milk". It's been two weeks and she still occasionally asks and when I say no she repeats our discussion: "I a big girl now. [pause.] I not want little babies have your milk." I assure her that there are no little babies and then she's okay. I only hope she's forgotten all this by the time we have baby #2. (No, I'm not pregnant!)
Her birthday party on the 26th went very well. I haven't any actual pictures of her to post but I am promised electronic copies from friends and I'll post them as soon as I get them. She was thrilled with the 'pink pig cake(s)' that she asked for and they turned out great (if I do say so myself). Two hours of mixing and baking on the Thursday, and two hours of decorating on the Friday, and we had 35 little piggie cupcakes and enough batter left for one big piggie (easier to put candles on).
She also really enjoys the train set we bought for her (the table Ed is working on isn't quite finished yet, so it's currently set up on our coffee table). Almost every day she says, to whomever is handy, "I want play trains wif you". Daddy is her favourite train-buddy.

Of course she also has a great time in the box the train-set came in:

ANGELIE IS TWO!!!! I still find that so hard to believe. The past two years have gone by so quickly.
Instead of a tiny newborn squalling in my arms, I have a toddler screaming in full-blown temper tantrum. Luckily they've been mostly short lived and usually out of temporary frustration. Her screams though reach a shrillness that sets my eardrums vibrating. Very painful! We're working on ignoring the behaviour so she doesn't learn that it gets results. Not always easy.
I mentioned in a previous post that she has recently learned to remove her own clothing. Now, she's also figured out the diaper. One day last week I heard a little voice from the top of the landing calling "mama!" (of course this was long after she was supposed to have been asleep, more on this later). As I came around the corner, in full view of her, she said "mama I poop." Okay, now she was also standing there completely naked! Not a stitch on her. I'm imagining the worst! Poop smeared walls etc. Luckily she still confuses the words 'poop' and 'pee' from time to time. Whew! But there was pee all over her bed, including her pillow and the pyjamas and the diaper that she'd discarded. There was also a puddly little trail from her bed to the landing carpet. Cleaned her up and put her back to bed, and threw in yet another load of endless laundry.
Now back to the late-night wakefulness, way past bedtime: Angelie is resisting bedtime in a big way. Bedtime is generally at 8pm, but lately she's still up babbling/playing/singing/whatever til after 10pm. I'm thinking (and totally dreading the thought, because it's my sanity) that she's ready to give up her afternoon nap completely. Sigh! What's a mom to do?
About 25 minutes ago, while working on this post, I heard a noise in her room, went into check on her and found her naked in her room pulling clothes out of her drawer and trying to 'get dressed mama. I all done sleep'. It was 10pm. Ten minutes after that, a scream from her room. Again out of bed, she'd gotten her fingers pinched in one of her dresser drawers and couldn't pull it out. It finally sounds like she's fallen asleep. I'll go check on her in a few minutes and could possibly find her asleep on the floor or under her bed or buck-naked. You just never know.
Angelie had a blast, reading with "Cuz Meg":

hiding under the bed with "Cuz Aid":

having a cushion fight with "Auntie Rob":

and composing her first musical masterpiece:

While we were there I also weaned her off breast-feeding. My doctor assured us that at two years we'd both reached maximum health benefit (her for both nutrition and bonding, and me for breast cancer prevention), and so I can rest easy knowing that I went above-and-beyond and that we've both gained maximum benefit from the experience! The weaning itself went pretty smoothly. I told her that 'mama milk' is for little babies and she's a big girl now. Her biggest worry was that she "not want little babies drink your milk". It's been two weeks and she still occasionally asks and when I say no she repeats our discussion: "I a big girl now. [pause.] I not want little babies have your milk." I assure her that there are no little babies and then she's okay. I only hope she's forgotten all this by the time we have baby #2. (No, I'm not pregnant!)
Her birthday party on the 26th went very well. I haven't any actual pictures of her to post but I am promised electronic copies from friends and I'll post them as soon as I get them. She was thrilled with the 'pink pig cake(s)' that she asked for and they turned out great (if I do say so myself). Two hours of mixing and baking on the Thursday, and two hours of decorating on the Friday, and we had 35 little piggie cupcakes and enough batter left for one big piggie (easier to put candles on).

She also really enjoys the train set we bought for her (the table Ed is working on isn't quite finished yet, so it's currently set up on our coffee table). Almost every day she says, to whomever is handy, "I want play trains wif you". Daddy is her favourite train-buddy.

Of course she also has a great time in the box the train-set came in:

ANGELIE IS TWO!!!! I still find that so hard to believe. The past two years have gone by so quickly.
Instead of a tiny newborn squalling in my arms, I have a toddler screaming in full-blown temper tantrum. Luckily they've been mostly short lived and usually out of temporary frustration. Her screams though reach a shrillness that sets my eardrums vibrating. Very painful! We're working on ignoring the behaviour so she doesn't learn that it gets results. Not always easy.
I mentioned in a previous post that she has recently learned to remove her own clothing. Now, she's also figured out the diaper. One day last week I heard a little voice from the top of the landing calling "mama!" (of course this was long after she was supposed to have been asleep, more on this later). As I came around the corner, in full view of her, she said "mama I poop." Okay, now she was also standing there completely naked! Not a stitch on her. I'm imagining the worst! Poop smeared walls etc. Luckily she still confuses the words 'poop' and 'pee' from time to time. Whew! But there was pee all over her bed, including her pillow and the pyjamas and the diaper that she'd discarded. There was also a puddly little trail from her bed to the landing carpet. Cleaned her up and put her back to bed, and threw in yet another load of endless laundry.
Now back to the late-night wakefulness, way past bedtime: Angelie is resisting bedtime in a big way. Bedtime is generally at 8pm, but lately she's still up babbling/playing/singing/whatever til after 10pm. I'm thinking (and totally dreading the thought, because it's my sanity) that she's ready to give up her afternoon nap completely. Sigh! What's a mom to do?
About 25 minutes ago, while working on this post, I heard a noise in her room, went into check on her and found her naked in her room pulling clothes out of her drawer and trying to 'get dressed mama. I all done sleep'. It was 10pm. Ten minutes after that, a scream from her room. Again out of bed, she'd gotten her fingers pinched in one of her dresser drawers and couldn't pull it out. It finally sounds like she's fallen asleep. I'll go check on her in a few minutes and could possibly find her asleep on the floor or under her bed or buck-naked. You just never know.

2 Comments:
Yikes, what am I getting myself into?!? LOL
But first off, Happy Birthday, Angelie! And happy birthay to Mum, too :-)
I know I've mentioned this before, but I love reading your posts and imagining her doing all these things. Seems like every time you post, she's learned or discovered something new. I can't wait to see you guys again, but I'm afraid it's going to be a little while this time around. Unless we somehow manage a trip "home" over Thanksgiving, which would be great. But if not, next time we meet we'll have two kiddos (god willing) to play with ;-)
Hi Monika! You know being a mom is a lot of work, but I wouldn't change a thing. It is the most awesome experience of my life! Of course there are days when Tylenol is my best friend.... ;)
Dawn
Post a Comment
<< Home