Saturday, June 30, 2007

It's been a busy month, so I apologize for not posting any new updates. Ed's been working long hours and so I don't get spelled parenting time which leaves me little time for the computer.

At the beginning of June we all went to Mississauga for the Relay for Life Cancer fundraiser. They do have events here in Ottawa but Ed's family organised a team in Toronto and so we all participated together. Even Angelie did a few laps around the track, though she and I stayed in a hotel and not in tents on-site. When everyone else slept the morning away at the hotel, after having been up all night, Angelie and I went out to breakfast and did some window-shopping at Square One mall. We spent Saturday with Ed's mom's family and Angelie got to meet family she hadn't seen in a long time. She did quite well on the trip, and enjoyed staying in the hotel, especially the rousing games of musical beds at midnight.

On the way home on the Sunday, we stopped into the Little Dollhouse Shop and looked at the dollhouse kits they sell there. Ed had originally planned on getting her an heirloom Dollhouse kit, to build for a Christmas gift, but after seeing how fragile they are decided that it should wait a few years. He did find her a play-grade dollhouse, meant to be put away for Christmas, but she saw him buy it and asked for it continuously all the way home. So she's gotten it already. She plays with it alot, and it's really developing her imagination. I hear her dollies use many of the phrases I use as they talk to each other.

Her imagination also has recently involved superheroes (Super-mommy and super-Angelie), running away from dinosaurs, and breastfeeding teddybears.

She's done very well since I weaned her off her last daily breastfeeding session, more than a month ago. Occasionally she'll ask, but usually it's to be silly or when she's pretending to be a baby. "I a tiny wittle baby and I want mama-milk." She hasn't gotten any cuddlier, which I've heard sometimes happens, but she does sneak in the skin-to-skin contact once in a while. First, she'd sneak up behind me, lift the back of my shirt, and press her bare belly to my back. Now in the early mornings when we're playing in bed she'll ask for a "tummy hug" and press her naked tummy against mine. But other than that, she's actually getting more independent.

I took her to the Agricultural Museum last week with a friend and her daughter. After visiting all the animals and a picnic lunch, the girls were let loose on the playground equipment there. The girls are the same age, though Angelie's little friend stuck close to her mother and Angelie runs off to play without a backward glance. While we were there she found a soaker hose which was out to water the grass. All the other parents chased their children away from the water, but I just let her go for it. She was soaked to the skin, and filthy from playground sand sticking to her wet clothes. People smiled and laughed at her in the water, but still they kept their own kids out of it. So I'm either the "bad mom" or the "fun mom" -- I dunno which. I did however strip her down and put her into the backup clothes I keep in the diaper bag before I'd let her get back into the car.

Some of Angelie's little friends are well on their way to being potty-trained, but Angelie is resisting. I think with the weaning process last month she's hanging onto this as something she can control. I think she's physically ready as she'll wake up overnight and her diaper is still dry, but she resists every attempt to put her on the potty. She has gone pee on the potty a couple of times, when it's her idea, but when I ask her if she wants to the answer is always no. I'm not pushing it yet. She's been observing her other little friends, and she has the incentive of wanting to wear panties instead of diapers, so I think once she makes up her mind to do it, she will do it quickly. But she's a strong-willed child and it has to be her idea.

1 Comments:

Blogger miika said...

I think that makes you the "fun mom", and probably the better prepared one, too, for having back-up clothes in your diaper bag :-)

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home