Monday, September 03, 2007

Yet again I've fallen behind on my blogging. But I'm no longer going to apologize! We've had a full and busy summer.

We spent a lot of time playing in our backyard, which Grandma has equipped nicely through her yard sale addiction.
Angelie naked in backyard
Angelie in pool

We had a few days at a friend's cottage, which Angelie loved. It was right on the warmest and shallowest of lakes and Angelie swam like a fish, devoured marshmallows until she was bouncing off the walls on a sugar-high.

We had my nephew Aidan for a week in July, then his sister Megan the following week. We did quite a bit of sight-seeing while they were here, some things twice.

Cuddling with Aidan

Fixing the playhouse roof.

Making ice cream at the Agricultural museum:
making ice cream at Ag museum

Sliding with Megan

In early August Angelie and I (Ed was too busy helping his Dad with renovation-work to join us) went to my sister’s place for her husband’s family’s annual BBQ. Angelie had a blast as there were lots of kids and animals, and ice in big buckets, to play with. We came home with Aidan for another week, again to be followed by Megan for week. They really enjoyed having time away from each other and Angelie really enjoyed having them here. Doing the end of week swap meant we all met at Dad's (the midway point) several times over the summer, so Angelie has gotten to see "Papa Bob", and pick his raspberries, more than she might have otherwise.

Toast over an open fire in Redbridge

Angelie swims in ice bucket

Angelie in hammock with Megan

Climbing the tree with Aidan

I wish I'd had more time to update, as I'm sure I'll forget to mention all the cute things Angelie's done that I'll want to remember, all the cute things she’s said, the silly songs we make up, the games we play.

She has become much more imaginative in her play, loves to copy all the day-to-day domestic stuff she sees me do. She "helps" me in the kitchen to bake, prepare supper, sweep the floor, etc.

Angelie "peeling potatoes" with a plastic spoon:
Angelie peels potatoes

She's getting into dress-up and baby dolls. When she takes care of her babies she will go through the whole bedtime routine: supper, bath, book, bed. I’ve found dolly clothes in my laundry basket. I hear my words come out of her mouth: “Oh Angelie, what you do that for?”, “Get your little diapered bum back in bed!”, “No splashing or you have to get out of the tub, baby”.
Dolly's bathtime

She has a plastic giraffe she’s named Pookie Wudy.

She has an invisible turtle friend she calls Eldo Doodah. He spends most of his time "upstairs, sleeping", apparently in our bed.

One day she said to me, “Mama, I your best friend.”

I asked her one day, “Angelie, do you know how much I love you?”, and she answered, “All the way past bedtime.”

Today, she stood on a chair flung her arms wide, and said in a loud voice, "Jungle maaaan, boys and girls!" (instead of 'Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls'.)

She's getting into the stage of "little things": doll house dolls and furniture, Barbies, Polly Pockets, mini-Dora the Explore figures, etc. I'm constantly stepping on these little things and I tell you, in bare feet, they hurt!

She loves the ball tent Daddy bought for her, and her dollhouse, and playing trains with Daddy. Thomas and friends are more likely to be going for ice cream and getting ready for bed, though, than they are to be hauling freight to exotic locations.
Angelie in the balltent

Angelie is in the process of giving up her naps. If she naps (and she still will fall asleep if we go anywhere in the car, and sometimes nod off at the table) she’s up til 10 or 11pm. Not fun, for us adults anyway. So we try to skip the naps altogether, deal with the 6pm cranky stage, and she’s in bed by 8pm. Some days it works, some days it doesn’t. Some days after we think she’s asleep we find her in the bathroom, naked on the potty at 10pm... and every 10 minutes thereafter.

She’s also in the process of potty-training, but so far it’s been hit-and-miss. Some days she does really well, and other days are messy and trying. She does much better on days we stay at home and she can stay naked all day. We’ve used brand new panties (with kitty cats on them!) as incentive with limited success. She loves them but I think when she’s wearing panties she forgets they’re not diapers and just goes. Naked, she remembers. Maybe with enough naked days in a row, she’ll get the hang of it. She’s also learned the art of negotiation. “If I pee on the potty I get three gummi-bears?”

Angelie hides in pantry.

Angelie has several little friends that she loves having playdates with, and she's begun asking for her friends by name. “Jorja is my bestest friend Mama”, “I want go Andrew’s house t’day”, “What is Carly doing today, Mom?”

Because of our busy summer, some playdates have made way for other company and weekends away. But summer seems to be coming to an end and life is slowing down; over the next few weeks we'll be getting back into a routine of sorts. On September 11th, Angelie starts preschool two mornings a week, and we’ll get swimming lessons scheduled again, and regular playdates.

And we’re looking forward to some routine again. At least Mommy is.
Angelie and Mom

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home